Air Traffic Management
This section is responsible for the management and operation of Air Traffic Services and Search & Rescue within the Lilongwe Flight Information Region (FIR).
- En-route Control these are offered by Area Control Centre for over flights, landing and departing aircrafts. These services enable aircrafts to navigate through the airspace and are backed by ground equipment situated all over the country;
- Approach Control these are offered in all the controlled airports in Malawi.
- Aerodrome Control these are offered at KIA and Chileka International Airport. This service provides positive control to landing and departing aircrafts on the aerodromes. These are backed by the instrument landing systems that enable aircrafts to land and take off safely;
- Flight information Centre provide a flight information service (FIS) and an alerting service (ALRS) to air traffic.
- Search and Rescue- this involves the coordination and direction of search and rescue services with all partner agencies for aircrafts in distress.
Aeronautical Information Service (AIS) is a branch under Air Traffic Management .The Role of AIS is to ensure the timely flow of Aeronautical Information necessary for the Safety, Regularity and Efficiency of National/International Air Navigation.