Airworthiness is a section within the Regulatory Division. The Airworthiness Section is under obligation for the oversight of International Civil Aviation Standard and Recommended Practices requirements.
Airworthiness responsibilities include the following functions:
- aircraft registration, deregistration and maintenance of civil aircraft register;
- recommendation on acceptance of aircraft type certificate;
- approval of changes to the type certificate (modifications & repairs);
- issue/renewal and validation of Certificates of Airworthiness;
- approval of aircraft maintenance organisations;
- Coordination with other section in certification of air operators;
- investigation of accidents, incidents and major aircraft defects;
- service bulletins and foreign airworthiness directives review for applicability to Malawi registered aircraft;
- conducting examinations and issue for applicants of aircraft maintenance engineers licences in coordination PEL section;
- development of technical guidance materials for airworthiness practices and procedures;
- development and recommendation of regulatory changes to civil aviation legislation as appropriate continuing airworthiness oversight .